Tonight I thought I would show you the progress we made at Jason's house while we were up in NH last month. We still aren't done with the kitchen but we are getting closer. We still need to replace the light fixture, add window treatments, change the flooring and put a more permanent top on the island but at least now it's a completely functional kitchen!

Here is what it looked like to start:

And here is where we are at now (like I mentioned above - we aren't finished but at least we've made a good bit of progress!)

In here the first thing we did was replace the appliance and change out the main countertops with a black granite that was on sale at Home Depot. Then we primed and painted the cabinets. We painted them in Simply White using Benjamin Moore's Advanced line. We've gotten a lot of questions about painting cabinets and even though I don't really have any new or good advice after I finish photographing and sharing with you our new kitchen I will do a full post on priming and painting cabinets and share what I have learned. I took two different approaches with Jason's kitchen and with ours (including using two different types of paint) and will write the pros and cons of each way.


We also painted all the trim and the walls. They were all a dirty creamy yellowish color so it was nice defining the trimwork. We used Revere Pewter on the walls and the same Simply White on the trim that we used on the cabinets. Then we painted all the doors in Wrought Iron.

Here's a little look into the dining room. The walls and trim were all that dirty yellowish cream color and the ceiling was green. We painted all of that in the same colors as the kitchen seeing how the rooms flow together. We still need to change out the flooring (we'd like to do a wood in here and the kitchen to match the rest of the house) and hang up a new light fixture and then start adding the furniture!

The island has a temporary top on it for now. We were planning on putting an IKEA butcher block on it but when we went to get it they were sold out and seeing how it's a lengthy trip to to the nearest IKEA up there it might be a while before we make another trip so we went ahead and just got some plywood and have that on the island for now. It works great for a temporary solution.

The base of the island is painted Galveston Gray. The bar stools are from IKEA. The little wire baskets were from Joss and Main. I had ordered them for up there but loved them so much when I opened them that I actually ended up taking them back home with me. =) The little bottles are from TJMaxx and the pitcher is from Target. All the flowers are from the perennial garden in the back yard.





I love this little merci tag from the OC Cottage.

We kept the little glass knobs on the doors. Even though they are a bit feminine for Jason I figured he wouldn't mind seeing how I knew he wouldn't want to buy new ones.

We did replace all of the glass knobs on the island and other kitchen cabinetry though we these inexpensive oil rubbed bronze ones from Home Depot.

I hope you all have a blessed week! I'll be back next to show you some more changes we've made in our family room and details on our new sectional.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top