Well, I finally got my pictures uploaded of the curtains and pillows we painted a couple of weeks ago for our master bedroom. Believe it or not the white "curtains" we had hanging up there for the past three and a half years were just white twin sheets. I had them hanging like curtains so I don't think anyone knew, but it always drove me crazy. I never could find exactly what I was looking for, though, in my price range.

My sister, Dana recently moved and got a new job in New York and got to decorate a new apartment with her best friend, Christine. It turned out fabulous and I hope at some point I will be able to take some photos to share with you all. Anyway, when it came time to make some draperies she sent me a link to some fabric swatches that she was interested in but wasn't quite sure about. I agreed that although they were all pretty none of them were quite right for her space and suggested a stripe. I thought the bold look of a wide stripe would be a nice contrast to the otherwise soft room she was designing. It turned out finding a decently priced striped fabric that would look right in her apartment was not an easy task. I mentioned that I had seen on Pinterest some painted curtains but wasn't sure where. She found some links and decided to go ahead and give it a try. She bought two long white panels at IKEA and painted away. When she sent me a phone picture they were GORGEOUS! I fell in love with them and had her pick me up a pair of the same panels at IKEA and she sent them back down with Jason after Christmas. I used leftover paint from Lillie's room (London Fog by Benjamin Moore) and decided to go ahead and give it a try. I was in a hurry so I didn't bother to look up any tutorials but basically what I did was just used painters tape to tape off every 12 inches or so and then painted away. If you do want to find a full tutorial for this idea here is one from Shaunna at Perfectly Imperfect. I LOVE her blog!

I did two coats heavy coats (I didn't want the stripes to be see-through at all) and then ripped off the tape and that was it! It was pretty time consuming taping each panel off, but other than that it was really easy and I have to say I am so happy with them! And seeing how I used paint I already had they only cost me $24.99! (Or whatever the IKEA curtains were...I think it was $24.99, but I will check with Dana and make sure that is correct).
 I moved all my porch furniture aside to make room so I could lay each panel down. I had to do one at a time because of the space it took up. Oh how I wish we had a basement! =) 

After they were dry we pulled the tape off (Lillie loved that part!) and hung them.


I also played around with the pillows on our bed a little bit. First I brought back up the bolster pillow. It was in the garage after the girls did some damage to it =). I fixed it back up, though, and added a little panel with some new words on it that I was playing around with. We are hoping to have a bolster designed to sell soon. I also used the sheets that used to be our curtains to make pillow covers for our Euro shams on the back of the bed. You can see them below on the all white side that has a little ruffle in the center.



I made the Euro Shams reversable. On the other side I painted on thick strip down the middle using the same paint as the curtains. Once again, Lillie had lots of fun ripping off the tape once the paint was dry.


Here is one side of my extra sheets that were once curtains and now are pillows. 


And here is the other side:

Neither side is perfect but seeing how they go behind everything it doesn't really matter.

I didn't like mixing the gray stripes with the black on the other pillows so when I switched them to this side I removed the black pillows. I was a little torn on which look I liked better at first but now I am pretty sure I like this softer gray look better. What do you think?









While I was taking photos of our bedroom, Lillie made me these little Valentine's and wanted me to take pictures of them. =) 


And here is my little rascal doing a dance move on the trunk in front of the new curtains.

I also wanted to let you know that we have two new Valentine's pillows available in our shop today! Well, actually they don't need to be specifically Valetine's pillows. I have used the ones I made last year in Lola's room year round.




 And we also have a Ruffled Heart Pillow in White:


That's it for today! I hope you all have a wonderful Monday!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top