I had seen this rosette style cake on Pinterest a while back and finally gave it a try! I wanted to make it using chocolate icing though and a yellow cake. Seeing how it was my first time ever using any actual cake decorating tools I didn't really know what I was doing, but I have to say it turned out to be much easier than I anticipated. Mine looks a little messier than I would like and I definitely need to practice more doing the filler swirls between the rosettes but all in all for a first try I was quite happy with it and it really was so easy!

I didn't take step by step photos but I can pretty easily explain the steps. First I just used a Betty Crocker Super Moist cake yellow cake mix and filled two circular 9" cake pans.

Here is the recipe for the frosting:

3 sticks butter
2 cups Hershey's Cocoa 
9 cups powdered sugar
1/3 milk
1 tablespoon vanilla

Melt the butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk and beat on medium speed. Add more milk if needed (I don't even think I used quite 1/3 cup). Stir in Vanilla. Makes about 6 cups of frosting.

YOU WANT IT TO BE KIND OF STIFF SO IT HOLDS THE SHAPE OF THE ROSETTE.

I have to say I ended up with a little extra frosting but that was better than not having enough and although I had a little extra it wasn't a ton extra.

First I placed the bottom round cake layer down and frosted the top of it. Then I placed the second layer on top of it. I normally like to make three layer cakes but for this one I decided to go ahead with just two to make it easier to do the rosettes on the side. Once I placed the second tier on I just iced the top of it and then the sides in a very basic not so pretty manner.

This is what it should look like before you start working on your rosettes:


I went to Michael's and purchased these three items so I could ice the cake:
(I have to say I feel quite fancy now being the owner of some cake decorating tools, even if they are just super basic ones!) =) 

Then I followed this fabulous tutorial from "i am baker". The instructions were so easy and hers looks awesome (way better than mine!)









And there you have it, a super easy chocolate rosette cake!


 I also wanted to let you know our "Love Is..." pillow cover sets are back in stock!





I hope you all had a fabulous weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top